Canine Good Citizen Training (CGC)
What is CGC?
The American Kennel Club started the Canine Good Citizen program in 1989 as means of rewarding dogs who were well-behaved companions at home and in the community. The goals of the CGC program are to:
1) Teach responsible dog ownership to owners and
2) Provide basic training and good manners to dogs.
A key component of the CGC Program is the 10- step CGC Test.
All dogs (including purebreds and mixed breeds) who pass the CGC Test receive a certificate from the American Cannel Club.
Transforming your Canine Friend to a Life-long Companion
Canine Friends for Life
There are 10 steps:
1. Accept a friendly stranger
2. Sit politely for petting
3. Appearance and grooming
4. Out for a walk /walking on a loose leash/
5. Walk though a crowd
6. Sit and down on command/staying in place
7. Come when called
8. Reaction to another dog
9. Reactions to distractions
10. Supervised separation